Running out of Ghirardelli chocolates, I went to get some more in other locations. After spotting this factory outlet from riding the BART some time ago, I went to take a closer look, considering that I was heading in that direction.
Aside from the Pick and Mix display that I saw in Lathrop (as well as in SF) there were also a number of new items and a large amount of chocolates in cases (sold as stand up boxes) for a considerable discount.
While trying to figure out what gives me the best deals, someone asked me for help on what to buy (for one of his events) while saving as much money as possible. I'm also trying to save as much as I can since I buy in bulk (several dozen squares at a time). Which is what brought me to...
Calculations and Best Deals
The prices are calculated for 10 regular squares, with the following notes:
- This is an incomplete list. Prices were last checked on Sept 2015 and do not include tax. Unless stated otherwise, the prices below refer to general squares sold in Livermore, San Leandro, and Lathrop (the last two which are Factory Outlets).
- Take Out Boxes in SF are not included because I did not actually check how many could be stuffed in there.
- The prices found in Disneyland California Adventure are the same as those in SF.
- Twilight Delight and 60% Cocoa in stand up bags contain 13 of them instead of the standard 10 for the same price.
- Variety bags and seasonal squares were not checked.
- The 12x Bag Discount was intended to be bought as a case.
- 15% discount (on receipts) was used on anything it could be applied on (in brackets).
- Costco's Assortment is Milk & Creamy Almond, Dark & mint, Milk & Caramel, and Dark & Sea Salt Caramel.
- Prices do not include discounts from buying Ghirardelli's gift cards in bulk from other locations (such as Costco)
That said, the best option for cost effectiveness would simply be to get them from an outlet store, and in bulk. If you're not in California, then from Costco if you favor caramel chocolates (though it is seasonal), and Target / a discount grocery store otherwise.
|Type||Minimum Quantity||Total Price||Price for 10|
|Chocolate Heaven - Stand up Bag||10||8.95||8.95|
|San Francisco - Intense Dark Gift Box||16 / 32||12.95 / 22.00||6.88 / 8.09|
|San Francisco - Filled Cable Car||45||25.00 [21.25]||5.56 [4.72]|
|San Francisco Chocolate - 1 Bag||33||16.95 [14.41]||5.13 [4.37]|
|San Francisco - Pick and Mix||15-22||19.90 / lb [16.91]||4.66-6.59 [3.84-5.64]|
|San Francisco Chocolate - 3x Bag||99||42.00||4.24|
|CVS / Safeway - Stand up Bag||10-13||5.19||3.99-5.19 [2.68-3.49]|
|Online Store - Case Pack||430 / 530||170.00 / 190.00||3.95 / 3.58|
|80 Count Squares Bag - Overstock||80||27.95 [23.75]||3.49 [2.96]|
|Target - Stand up Bag||10-13||4.49||3.45-4.49|
|Pick and Mix||15-22||12.00 / lb [10.20]||2.72-4.00 [2.31-3.40]|
|Factory Outlet - Filled Cable Car||45||17.00 [14.45]||2.65 [2.25]|
|Walmart.com - Stand up Bag||10-13||3.38||2.60-3.38|
|Costco - 80 Count Squares Bag||80||19.99||2.50|
|Costco - 50 pack (Assorted or Caramel)||50||11.69||2.34|
|80 Count Squares Bag - Overstock (x3)||240||55.90||2.32|
|Factory Outlet - Stand Up Bag||10-13||2.98||2.29-2.98|
|80 Count Squares Bag - Overstock (x5)||400||83.85||2.09|
|Factory Outlet - 5x Stand Up Bag||50-65||13.30||2.04-2.66|
|Factory Outlet - 12x Stand Up Bag||120-156||28.80||1.84-2.40|
|Costco - 50 pack (Assorted or Caramel) - Discounted||50||8.69||1.74|