Defeating Diablo might mean beating the game to some, and even more to people who hit 60, but it's far from over.
3 Week Gold Challenge: Raise as much money as possible (by this, meaning actual cash as well as gold) via equipment and commodity sales as well as loot drops in three weeks. 1 dollar will covert to 3.4 million gold based on current conversion rates.
There was almost no way to do something like this after one playthrough, so the last week was spent bringing up a character to lvl 60.
- The campaign can by any means be called 'short' - it takes approximately 8-10 hours to complete at MP-2 if you're just completing the main objectives. (Note: There are achievements for completing each Act in less than 1 hour.)
- Leveling up here is quite quick (approximating 30 minutes with the proper skills, up to lvl 50, at which point you need to be on Hell difficulty to level up effectively)
- MP-2 is quite manageable with normal gear, after that point you should overgear via auction house.
- Was xp farming at the rate of 740k EXP / hour on Nightmare difficulty. and approx 2.75M xp/hr peak at Hell.
Current Strat I'm Using:
Note: It might not be the most effective, but works for me.
- Start game in normal mode (no MP), go up to lvl 10 or something.
- Accumulate enough gold to overgear via auction house (using Flawless Square gems for sockets)
- Play at MP-5, adjusting as necessary to get though the game by Lvl 30 or so. (If I'm doing a lot of overkill on enemies, MP is raised). Reduced to Normal after hitting 50 before Hell dif, and back up to MP-2 onwards.
- Accumulate as many subtle essence via blacksmith (by breaking it down) and sell via auction house (this sells for around 700 each at time of writing, far more than selling inferior magic items alone. If it's rare and has good stats, sell via AH.)
- My Barbarian Build for XP: here (Prior to inferno)
- 1. Frenzy + Sidearm to build up rage quickly (and has high dps, with Sidearm more so)
- 2. Rend + Ravage - used to take out standard mobs quickly. Note its total damage is 700% weapon dmg over 5 seconds, and MP level as well and dps was prioritized so it can take out common mobs on its own.
- 3. Sprint + Marathon - to get from one enemy to the next faster.
- 4. Revenge + Vengeance - to build up fury + regen health faster between mobs
- 5. Battle Rage + Maurader's Rage for the dmg bonus. (Latter swapped with War Cry in Inferno)
- 6. Ignore Pain + Ignorance is Bliss, since damage taken is quite high in some places.
- Passives to increase atk, def, and regens rage.
The challenge concluded on January 6, 2013, raising over 110 million gold in the process, and not killing a single creature in the last week, relying entirely on gem and item flipping. The most successful sale was Depth Diggers (bought at 12M, sold at 36M - 9.99 USD before fees and converted.)