When you level up, you'll be glad you got a fresh supply of coins. With the XP potion active, 17 more games until more coins arrive.
Summary - XP:
- XP is gained at the end of each game, as long as you don't abort the game.
- You will get a minimum of 100 XP per game. This is halved if you died.
- Score and balls cleared do not raise your XP. Only curve clears, hot frogs, fruit and gap shots as well as time played will raise your XP at the end of the game.
- +1 XP per fruit collected in-game.
- +1 XP each time you get hot frog.
- +1 XP for each curve clear.
- +1 XP for the first gap shot and every four gap shots after that
- Around 1 XP per five seconds after a minute in one game.
- Most players typically get between 110-150 XP a game.
- XP requirement to level up considerably reduced. (compared to the old island at the same level)
Summary - Upgrades:
- Kroakatoa uses Stars for levels, with a new rank each 10 levels.
- Coins are not given after each game, only when leveling up.
- Levels only unlocks major game features (food, daily spin, monuments) and powers.
- No minor frog upgrades like on the old island (crit hit, fruit increase, golden frog, etc.)
- Any powers you had on the previous island will transfer with you, but your level will not. (If you were previously level 80 before transferring, you will most likely be leveling up only for the purpose of getting coins, since there's really nothing major that gets unlocked after lvl 10.)
Feel free to comment if a patch changes one of the effects mentioned here.
Level Up Table
Last Update: 10.29.12 (Added warning that using Speed Shot powers can produce a score not ending in zero)
Brief Summary of Coin Bonuses:
When you get a star (level up), you will get coins based on your current rank. You will also get a one-time bonus when you receive a promotion. Coins earned per game on average based on 110 xp earned a game. XP required to next level assumes it increases without any upper bound. (To compare, the max mojo you can get per game without using potions is 1125 at lvl 49.)
Note: Even if you don't see the level up screen (above) when you get a new star, you will still get your coins.
There are 40 ranks in the game, with the max level capped at 400*, although you won't get any more stars past 240 or so, giving you a limited amount of coins to work with.
(Avg user level: 59, based on rank survey)
|Stars||Rank Name||Coins Gained||Bonus||Avg Coins/Game||XP to this|
|210||Wide Eyed Leaper||350,000||400,000||2941.18||1,534,360|
|230||Yo Mama Croaker||350,000||400,000||2697.1||1,832,680|
You can gain a cumulative total of around 32.7 million coins by the time you reach level 200 from leveling up alone. This is substantially higher than the total mojo collected from level up bonuses and games through three entire levels of mastery in the old Zuma Blitz without using powers or potions. (However, you're paying almost twice as much as usual for powers/food...)
I would side with the tons of people who concluded after a few days of play that the new island is ripping them off because they're apparently getting less coins overall, but I can't find sufficient evidence to back this up.
|Stars||Rank Name||Coins Gained||Unlocks||Notes|
|1||Newt Recruit||0||6 Life Containers
10:00 regen timer
| - Given when first starting the game or for those who didn't install the app
- Lifes are giftable to friends
|4||Able Amphibian||4000||Bombs I
|- explodes and removes surrounding balls when matched.|
|5||Able Amphibian||4000||?||- Starting level for most players who transferred.|
|6||Able Amphibian||4000||Wild Shot I
| - Wild Shot occurs every 15 balls
- Matches any ball it touches, including single balls.
- If you don't hit a ball dead on, the game will choose the nearest ball cluster that scores the most points, priority given to powerups
|8||Bouncy Frog||4000||Food Items||- You will get 5x Hasty Pudding for free|
|9||Bouncy Frog||4000||Daily Spin|| - Free spin once a day, additional bonus for spinning consecutive days
- Payout ranges from 500 to up to 1 million coins
|- Monuments have a chance of popping up prior to starting a game.|
|13||Cheerful Croaker||8000||Speed Shot I|| - Increases shot speed by 10%
- Increases speed bonus by up to 80% (WARNING: Using this power may cause your score not to end in zero)
|15||Cheerful Croaker||8000||Zuma Spin|| - 2.5% chance of a spinner appearing in place of a fruit (max 2 in one game)
- When collected, adds another daily spin (access on top-right after the game)
- Payouts are limited to right hand side (500-10k coins).
- You keep your spins even if you died before timer expires or aborted the game.
|17||Cheerful Croaker||8000||Color Nuke I
| - Mark a ball using the laser to destroy all balls on the same color on that curve
- You can't hit fruit using the laser
- You can't discard a laser shot
- Missing won't break your chain
|23||Dapper Dartfrog||12000||Fruit Master I
|- Increases the frequency of fruit by 3 seconds (25%)|
|- Start game with x2 multiplier|
|33||Energetic Toad||18000||Inferno Frog I
|- Adds one extra shot to Hot Frog (total of 4)|
|37||Energetic Toad||18000||Chain Blast I
|- Explosion after 10 consecutive matches (and every 5 after)|
|43||Fearless Frog||25000||Sands of Time I
|- Time balls add six seconds to the clock when matched|
|47||Fearless Frog||25000||Bombs II
| - Upgrades Bombs I
- Increases frequency of bomb powerups
|53||Graceful Leaper||35000||Speed Shot II
| - Upgrades Speed Shot I
- Increases shot speed by 20%
- Increases speed bonus by up to 160% (WARNING: Using this power may cause your score not to end in zero)
|57||Graceful Leaper||35000||Color Nuke II
| - Upgrades Color Nuke I
- Increases frequency of Color Nukes
|62||Harlequin Hopper||45000||Chain Blast II
| - Upgrades Chain Blast I
- Explosion after 9 consecutive matches (and every 4 after)
|65||Harlequin Hopper||45000||Cannon II
| - Upgrades Cannon I
- Increases the frequency of cannon balls
|66||Harlequin Hopper||45000||Sands of Time II
| - Upgrades Sands of Time I
- Time balls add seven seconds to the clock when matched
|68||Harlequin Hopper||45000||Wild Shot II
| - Upgrades Wild Shot I
- Wild Shot occurs every 13 balls
|72||Invincible Frog||55000||Fruit Master II
| - Upgrades Fruit Master I
- Increases frequency of fruit by 5 seconds (50% normally)
|78||Invincible Frog||55000||Inferno Frog II
| - Upgrades Inferno Frog I
- Adds two extra shots to Hot Frog (total of 5)
|82||Jovial Jumper||65000||Speed Shot III
| - Upgrades Speed Shot II
- Increases shot speed by 50%
- Increases speed bonus by 200%
|85||Jovial Jumper||65000||Fruit Master III
| - Upgrades Fruit Master II
- Increases frequency of fruit by 7 seconds (100% normally)
|88||Jovial Jumper||65000||Bombs III
| - Upgrades Bombs II
- Increases explosion range of bomb powerups
|92||Kissable Frog||75000||Wild Shot III
| - Upgrades Wild Shot II
- Wild Shot occurs every 11 balls
|95||Kissable Frog||75000||Cannon III
| - Upgrades Cannon II
- Fires a four-way cannon blast when matched
|98||Kissable Frog||75000||Chain Blast III
| - Also upgrades Chain Blast II
- Increases Explosion radius of Chain Blast
|102||Lucky Leapfrog||85000||Color Nuke III
| - Upgrades Color Nuke II
- Color Nukes destroy balls of the same color on both curves
|105||Lucky Leapfrog||85000||Sands of Time III
| - Upgrades Sands of Time II
- Time balls add eight seconds to the clock when matched
| - Upgrades Doubler
- Start with x3 multiplier
Programs Used: Camtasia Studio and Hypercam to record gameplay. x264vfw codec was used for video compression for web playback. VirtualDub to analyze games on a frame-by-frame basis in order to get those figures (such as powerup frequency / points per explosion, etc).
Look over here to see if your question's been answered here before asking. Do not ask about freezing on idol wins / crit hits / levels past 80 as they have already been discussed on the official
ZB discussion board forums. The comment board here is starting to get a bit long, so I may delete older comments if they're not relevant anymore.