Nav: (Display/Hide) - Home - About the Author / this page

Current Projects: Americana Engine (Game Engine Development)

Monday, April 26, 2010

One Day at the Asparagus Festival

On Saturday, at the Asparagus Festival, I was doing more volunteer work as well as helping Webfotoz with their printing. It gave me a taste of what I'd probably be doing in the later years of my life, especially when I'm helping out more with the business.

Yes, at the festival, there were the usual events going on, etc., such as Yan Can Cook, demonstrations, the dog shows (such as how high they can jump), music, various vendors, and not including the two floating chicken balloons (which was part of a campaign called "Say No to Plumping"). That's all before I started my volunteer work in two of the booths.

Continuing on with the large crowd with all the food vendors and stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get all the items that I wanted due to my schedule, which gave me little time to explore before my shift started. The view's nice by the way.

So... my first job. Working at a booth called Paddle Boats composed of several photographers and people manning the booth (not including the senior).

Which part? Processing and printing out the pictures. Even with some experience from my last assignment a few weeks ago, there were still more concepts to be learned. This lesson included knowing where all the pictures went, etc. I managed to refine the workspace one step further by adding an indicator to see if pictures still need to be added in, without checking the import picture dialog box constantly, allowing me to focus more on the pictures at hand.

An hour later, I entered my actual shift for volunteer hours towards my club. In this section, I took the position as a cashier serving deep fried asparagus to the thousands of people wanting this famous dish. Now I get to see what it feels like to be the cashier; in the years past I was the one ordering. Sometimes it took a long time for the food to be served to me; now I know why.

Apparently people got really tired in there by holding up a hand (indicating how many deep fried orders to bring to the front) that a customer commented that 'your hand might fall off'. True. Another customer called it a 'sweatshop' and even more took pictures of what was going on inside. It was tiring, but thankfully I came up with a few 'strategies' and techniques to serve customers faster; if they each had one order, serve 'em two at a time.

Of course by working I got free dinner and such, but I did miss out on plenty of shows. Including the air show, which this was the first year it was introduced.

All in all, it was a tiring day. I'm actually thankful I'm working volunteering for only one day; many others have one more full day to go.

0 comments: